If you hate dumping your favourite clothes, then these 8 amazingly cheap & easy fashion fixes every mom needs to know are exactly what you need to kow now.
They say that “Necessity is the mother of invention.”
Well, my grandmother must have always needed something, because she seemed to have a remedy, or an invention, for everything. In a flash, she could give you a cheap and easy wardrobe fix to repair and improve any clothing calamity that you had.
I often wondered how she came up with the solution to every possible closet problem you could think of. I used to think that she was just making things up. But whenever I needed a solution to a wardrobe malfunction, Granny was the fashion guru to call.
Whether it was a stain on your favourite dress, a hole in your handbag, a lose thread/button on your top, or a worn out pair of shoes, Granny had a simple solution, without wasting a ton of time, effort, or money.
I hate having to dump clothes just because they have a slight stain, or snag, don’t you? If so, then these 8 amazingly cheap & easy fashion fixes every mom needs to know are just for you.
1. What To Do When Your Clothes Shrink, But You Haven’t
If you’re like me, you hate when you wash something and it shrinks beyond recognition. Have no fear! Here’s how to unshrink your clothes when they shrink, but you haven’t.
Grab 2 big towels, a container to hold water (bucket, sink, tub, etc) and baby shampoo (to ease the threads).
- Add a cap full of baby shampoo to a container of lukewarm water.
- Soak the shrunken clothing in the water.
- Let the clothing soak in the water, gently moving it around for a few minutes.
- Remove the clothing from the water. Squeeze out excess water, but do NOT wring it out or rinse it out. Do not rinse because there won’t be any noticeable soap left to rinse.
- Place the clothing on one of the big towels and then gently roll it up inside of the towel to remove any remaining moisture.
- Take the clothing and put it on the other big towel to allow to air dry.
- As it begins to dry, gently stretch the clothing out until it is the size you want it to be.
- For faster drying, try using a fan, hanging the garment outside, or dry in front of an open window/door.
- Remember, do not dry this clothing using your tumble dryer in the future.
- Voila! You’ve unshrunk your clothing.
2. How To Avoid A Sticky Gum Situation
Having kids, or even being around kids in a park, playground, etc, usually means you may become the victim of gum crime, (not to be confused with “gun crime”). Accidents or negligence may mean that you end up sitting on a pile of gum.“I love my clothes being stuck together with that oh, so sweet, sticky, substance called gum.” Said no one, EVER! #cleverglamourmomma #beauty #style #fashion #clothingcures #fashionfixes #beautybrilliance Click To Tweet
So if you’re ever a victim of gum crime, here’s what to do to remove the offending gum without damaging your clothes.
Simply freeze the area where gum is and it should come off with no problem.
- Either put a bag of ice on the gum-filled area and leave it there for about 20-30 minutes, or you can freeze the entire piece of clothing.
- To freeze the entire garment, make sure to empty any pockets, before putting the garment in a plastic bag.
- Do NOT fold the side with the gum so that it sticks to another part of the garment.
- Leave it in the freezer for over an hour, then scrape the hardened piece of gum off.
AFTER GUM GETS HARD
- Use a dull blade, to scrape the gum off. Be patient and gentle with the fabric.
- Then use a firm bristled toothbrush to remove any remaining gum particles.
- When finished, wash normally.
3. The Solution To Slack Sunglasses
Summer is here and I don’t mind looking stylish as I run around daily getting my to do list done. I simply slip on a pair of sunglasses and instantly upgrade my outfit.
As a bonus, the sunglasses also hide the fact that I may be sleep deprived and would prefer to be back in bed catching up on some much needed sleep instead of making eye contact with the rest of the world.
As a busy momma, even if you’re not concerned about style, you may want to wear sunglasses to hide those lovely bags under your sleep derived eyes, or just because you’d prefer not to have yet another mind-numbing conversation about tantrums, toddlers or tiredness.
Whatever your reason for donning a pair of sunglasses this summer, you may need to tighten a loose arm in a hurry and don’t have a small screwdriver handy.
A quick and easy fix is to grab your clear nail polish and dab a bit of it on the loose hinge to tighten it until you can get it tightened more permanently.
4. Stop A Running Hose With Clear Nail PolishStop A Running Hose With Clear Nail Polish #cleverglamourmomma #beauty #style #fashion #clothingcures #fashionfixes #beautybrilliance Click To Tweet
When I was a little girl, one day I was shopping with my grandmother when she bought a bottle of clear nail polish.I asked her why she bought that polish that didn’t even have a colour. She said that she’d show me why when we got home.
I couldn’t wait to get home, so I pestered my Gran to buy a bright purple, shimmery nail polish, with glitter. I was sure this would look great on her nails, unlike the clear polish that no one could even see. I begged and begged, until Gran was fed up of me and got me to shut up in a not-so-nice way that I’d prefer not to say… but I’m sure you can guess.
When we got home, Gran went to her bedroom and after what seemed like forever, she called me.
She had one of her skin coloured, “good” pantyhose stretched over her hand. With the other hand, she pointed to a tear in the hose. She then took the clear polish she bought and dropped a bit of it on the top and bottom of the tear. I asked her why and she explained that the polish would stop the hose tearing/running any more.
“Ooooh! I get it now, Gran,” I said. Now I understood why she didn’t buy the purple glittery polish. It definately wouldn’t have looked as good as the clear one did on the skin coloured pantyhose.
5. How To Slay Sweat Stains
I love sunshine. Don’t you?
As a girl growing up in the Caribbean, I used to take the summer sunshine for granted. Who could blame me? Summer was the only season we had. Now that I live in the UK sunshine and summer are luxuries. It’s not everyday you get sunshine that’s actually nice & warm. Far too may times I’ve been fooled by a lovely looking hot sun in the sky. Only to find myself freezing the instant I stepped outside. So, I’ve learnt to appreciate summer a whole lot more than I did before.
Although I love sunshine, what I don’t love are sweat stains. They can ruined even the most attractive outfit and catch a busy momma off guard as she hurries around tackling her to do list. Here’s how to handle unsightly sweat stains.
- Mix a little lemon juice with a little baking soda .
- Cover the sweat stain with the mixture and soak the garment for about an hour.
- Wash as normal.
6. Remove Oil Stains With Dishwashing Liquid & Baby Powder
If you ever get splashed by oil/ grease as you slave over a hot stove to feed those hungry mouths bawling, “Mom, I’m hungry! What’s for dinner?” here’s what to do.
- Use dishwashing liquid to remove oil stains on your clothing. Just like it removes oil and grease on dishes, dishwashing liquid will remove oil and grease from your clothing without harming them.
If you don’t want to use dishwashing liquid, then try this:
- Sprinkle some baby powder on that unsightly stain and show it who i boss.
- Let the powder soak in the stain overnight. By morning, the stain should be gone.
- Wash and wear the garment as normal.
If the stain is as stubborn as your 3 year old and didn’t want to go during the night, or even after you wash the garment, here’s what to do.
- Place a piece of cardboard underneath the area of the garment that has the oil stain.
- Spray the stain with WD40.
- Put lots of baking powder on the area you sprayed.
- Use a small brush (shoe brush, baby brush, or a toothbrush) and rub the area for about 3-5 minutes.
- Shake off the baking soda and repeat the above process.
- When you finish the process the second time, shake off the baking soda again.
- Apply a little dishwashing liquid to the area again.
- Wash as normal in washing machine, or by hand and the stain should be gone.
7. Destroy Disgusting Deodorant Marks By Doing This
Don’t you hate deodorant marks on your clothes? I do! They alway seem to happen at the worst time, like when you’re later than late. Deodorant marks certainly know how to ruin a good outfit and a good mood.
Kill deodorant marks dead by doing this…
- Choose an unmarked area of your garment and turn it inside out.
- Rub this inside out section on the area that the deodorant has marked.
- Voila! Deodorant is gone!
Or, if you prefer, try this…
- Rub a tumble dryer sheet on the marked area in circles.
- The sheet should absorb the deodorant stain and as a bonus, your clothes will smell lovely.
8. Get Wrinkle-Free Clothes Without The Agony Of Ironing
If I had to choose between watching paint dry and ironing, I’d struggle to choose one. Both are insanely boring activities.If you hate ironing as much as I do, then here’s what to do.
Grab the following and you’ll be good to go.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of hair conditioner
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- Place all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake, shake, shake.
- Spray the wrinkles.
- Lay the garment flat & smooth it out.
- Let the garment dry a bit and you’re good to go.
10 Mind Blowing Tips On How To Look Great Naturally Without Using Makeup
20 Genius Clothing Cures & Fashion Fixes You Wish You’d Known Sooner
8 Amazingly Cheap & Easy Fashion Fixes Every Mom Needs To Know Now
4 Simple Steps To Closet Minimalism That’ll Make Your Life Easier
The Genius Style & Fashion Guide To, Clever Clothing Choices & Less Stress When You Dress
8 Amazing Ways To Be Beautiful, Even If You’re A Busy Mom
8 Sensational Styling Tips To Help You Survive The Hot Summer
10 Fabulous Facts About Colours Every Woman WantsTo Know Now
I hope that you find these 8 amazingly cheap & easy fashion fixes every mom should know now, useful. They should help you stay stylish quickly, cheaply and easily. They’re perfect for busy mommas, just like you.
Whenever you’re in need of a fashion fix, just remember these 8 amazing tips.
- What To Do When Your Clothes Shrink, But You Haven’t
- How To Avoid A Sticky Gum Situation By Freezing
- The Solution To Slack Sunglasses
- Stop A Running Hose With Clear Nail Polish
- How To Slay Sweat Stains
- Remove Oil Stains With Dishwashing Liquid & Baby Powder
- Destroy Disgusting Deodorant Marks By Doing This
- Get Wrinkle-Free Clothes Without The Agony Of Ironing
Want to stay stylish and on trend? Download your FREE eBook below now and look glamourous on the go. “Dressing Without Drama: Easy Tips & Tricks For Dressing our Body Type” is designed to help you make clever, confident, clothing choices, quickly, cheaply & easily.
What are your favourite fashion fixes? Share your comments and ask your questions below. I can’t wait to hear from you.
Are we friends on social media yet? If not, let’s connect! I can’t wait to hear from you.