Many moms I know complain that before starting a family, they were pretty confident about their sense of style. Unfortunately, their style sense suffered after they got into the baby making business. If this resonates with you, then “How To Increase Your Confidence To Skyrocket Your Style & Self-Esteem” is designed to help.
It’s well-known that as a busy momma, self-care is often a forgotten factor, especially when you have a family to take care of. You usually find time to take care of everyone and everything… except yourself. The price you pay for this self-neglect can cost you your confidence and your sense of style.
Related: 6 Spectacular Steps To Self-Care For Stressed Out Moms
Please Pin This For Later!
If you’ve suffered a style setback since starting your family, or your clothing confidence has been crushed because you had children, then here are some helpful tips just for you.
- First, we’ll look at clever clothing choices to increase confidence. Choosing clever clothing is key to increasing your clothing confidence. When you can confidently select the best clothes to flatter your figure, which are also practical and comfortable, then your style and self-esteem are sure to skyrocket.
- Next, you’ll learn how to dress to enhance your clothing confidence.
- Finally, I’ll give you some quick and simple tips to improve your confidence.
1. Clever Clothing Choices To Increase Confidence
What To Wear
- Dressing in wrap dresses is a brilliant idea if you want to downplay your tummy. Wrap dresses hide a multitude of sins, Momma! They’ll cover your tummy and draw attention to other areas that are more flattering. As a bonus, you can find wrap dresses in a variety of styles for just about every occasion. For an instant style statement that boosts your confidence and accentuates your assets, wrap it up!
- Look for dresses that nip in at the waist and slightly (not too much to make you look bigger than you are) flare out over hips and thighs
- A full-skirted evening dress will hide heavy hips and thighs.
- Try sleeveless and strapless dresses to play up pretty shoulders and arms.
- An empire or raised-waist dress brings the eye up away from problem areas. However, curvy ladies should be careful with this look because sometimes it can be confused with a maternity look.
This gorgeous dress is perfect because it can easily be dressed up or dressed down. It’s also very trendy because florals are all the fashion rage this fall. Wear it during the holidays, just add a bit of sparkle, like a necklace, earrings, handbag, shoes, etc. This versatile multi-coloured dress can be worn with a variety of colours. Add a cardigan/sweater and some tights and you’ll be the best-dressed wherever you go. The empire like make allows you to enjoy whatever you want to eat and drink without worrying about about your waistline. Grab this affordable bargain now!
What To Wear
- Flare tops, like an empire waist top to flatter your figure. Empire tops have the waistline right under the breasts, so the eyes are drawn upwards, away from your waistline.
- A tunic style top is good for covering bigger bellies. Tunics give a slimming effect while conveniently hiding your belly.
- Fitted, not skin tight, T-shirts (something with some stretch) and button-front tops.
- V-necks, turtlenecks and open collars all call attention to the face, which is always a good thing as it takes attention away from your saggy/wobbly areas.
- Jackets and blazers should hit anywhere but the widest point of your hips. That could mean right below the waist to mid-thigh, depending on your height.
- Wear jackets and blazers open for the best vertical lines which make you look slimmer
What To Avoid
- Baggy tops if you do not want to draw attention to your tummy. Baggy tops add bulk to your waist and make you look bigger than you actually are.
- Thin, clingy tops because they will highlight your lumps and bumps and also will make you look disproportionate.
What To Wear
- High Waist Trousers/Pants. They will smooth out your tummy area and give you a great curvy shape. There are also trousers/pants with an elastic front, similar to those worn during pregnancy. They do a great job of hiding a multitude of sins and are also very comfortable.
- Knee-length A-line skirts are perfect. They cleverly draw attention away from problem areas.
- A straight or slightly boot cut bottom is very flattering.
- Shorts can be tricky, but for workouts and casual wear, choose lightweight, loose-fitting shorts (no bike shorts)
- Side stripes on shorts are very slimming and can give the illusion of sleekness as they encourage the eyes to look up and down.
What To Avoid
- Clothing that’s too tight around your bum and hips.
- Miniskirts because they accentuate heavy thighs.
- Skinny jeans that draw attention to your heavy hips. Instead, wear boot cut jeans that are wider at the bottom. They will even out the bulk on your hips and give a more or less straight look.
- Patterned or light-coloured trousers will highlight your lumps and bumps.
- Distracting details on pants/trousers like big cargo pockets, ruching or excessive zippers around the hip area.
Related: 10 Tantalizing Tips On What To Wear To Easily & Instantly Look Taller & Slimmer
What To Wear
- A well-fitted bra. If possible, invest in a professionally fitted bra instead of selecting from the generic sizes. It is well worth it because you will then have a smooth, even appearance.
- Well fitted underpants that do not have VPLs (visible panty lines). Invest in some suitable shapewear to help hide mommy lumps and bumps.
2. How To Dress To Enhance Your Confidence
Planning & Preparing In Advance
Prepare your outfits the night before. Although you may be tired, the time and effort prior planning saves in the morning is priceless. Preparing the night before gives you a chance to put together something a little special/different and allows more time for creativity. In the morning, you may be more tempted to just throw on the same tired, predictable outfits you wear every day.
Limit Wearing Black
I know that you’ve always been told to wear black. “Black is slimming. Black is traditional. Black is the new black….” Yes, black is beautiful, but this is exactly why you should dare to be different and sometimes spice it up with a splash of colour. Notice, I said a splash, not a downpour. You don’t want to look like a crazy clown. A splash of colour can take any outfit from boring to breathtaking, instantly and effortlessly. If you absolutely prefer darker colours, try substituting black for grey, navy or dark brown. Pair your outfit with an eye-catching scarf or necklace that compliments the grey, navy or brown colour and shows your individuality.A splash of colour can take any outfit from boring to breathtaking, instantly and effortlessly. Click To Tweet
Shoes are very important to your overall outfit. Try and choose shoes that lengthen your leg. A nude or neutral coloured shoe is a wonderful way to update your wardrobe. You’re sure to get your money’s worth because nude/neutral colours literally go with any and every outfit. Are you always on the go and need a comfortable, practical pair of shoes? Or maybe you prefer a more elegant, evening look? Whatever you want, there’s a nude shoe, just for you.
Invest In Plain Items
Investment items are intended to last a lifetime. So it makes sense to invest in plain fabric items that are more versatile and won’t look like you’re wearing the same thing repeatedly in one week. Printed pieces have a short life span and date quickly. Investing in plain fabrics ensures that your wardrobe and investment will stretch much further. You can always spruce up your plain investments with some statement, stylish accessories. Accessories are the key to pulling off effortless style. For instance, a beautiful bag can be classy, timeless and makes a statement all by itself. This will transform your entire look! Just remember not to overdo it. You don’t want to stand out for all the wrong reasons and look like a Christmas tree in the middle of July.
Pair Your Pout With Your Pumps
For a quick stylish look, match your shoes with your lipstick/lip gloss. Pop on a nude shoe with a nude lipstick, or pair a red shoe with a red lip. This instantly pulls your look together and gives you effortless style.
Transform Your Outfit From Day To Evening Attire
I know that most of you simply don’t have time to change outfits when you have to juggle things like kids, chores, errands and sometimes working outside the home. Getting glammed up need not be a headache or a hassle. If you ever need to quickly and easily transform your day outfit into a date night outfit, grab a clutch purse and a pair of heels in your preferred height and you’re good to go. If you really want to impress, add a lovely scarf or a statement necklace, or perhaps a nice jacket/coat and you’re instantly a glamour momma!
Be A Minimalist & Clean Out Your Closet
Minimalism is an amazing thing, especially when it comes to clothing. Being a minimalist momma helps you save time and be more organised. So, if it’s not a family heirloom, or something sentimental, then donate, sell, or discard anything you have not worn in a year. If it’s torn, too tight, or just plain tacky, ditch it! You’ve got kids, so simply accept that your life and your body has changed over the years. Let go of the past and find flattering fashions that will boost your confidence and make you look and feel phenomenal.Be a minimalist. Let go of the past and find flattering fashions that will boost your confidence and make you look and feel phenomenal. Click To Tweet
Less Is More
Like many mommas, I used to be guilty of believing that I have nothing to wear. I was convinced of this, despite having a closet FULL of clothing. Then I learnt about the 80/20 Rule. Admittedly, I was probably wearing only 20% of my wardrobe, while 80% just took up valuable closet space without being worn for ages. Worst still, some clothes were not ever worn. In many cases, less is more and clothing is no exception. I’ve found that the more clothes you have, the less you choose to wear. It’s best to invest in a few key items & create a capsule wardrobe. With a capsule wardrobe, you can create a variety of different looks by mixing and matching a few items of clothing and accessories. It saves time, money and frustration.
Inspiration Is Not Imitation
Do you have a style icon? If there’s anyone whose style inspires you, go ahead and use their style to inspire yours. As they say, “Imitation is the best form of flattery.” Start following this person on social media and create a board titled “My Style” on Pinterest. Look at your style board whenever you need inspiration for your style and try putting a few of these ideas together whenever you feel like dressing up. You’ll be exposed to a whole new style for your wardrobe and hopefully, have fun along the way.
Play Dress Up
Humans are creatures of habit. We tend to wear the same things over and over again. We get comfortable with the same style we’ve had for ages and are afraid to try new things, or be creative with our outfits. If you’re one of those mommas who’s scared to get out of your clothing comfort zone, try standing in front of the mirror and wearing different clothing combinations. Once you start going through your wardrobe, I’m sure that you’ll find items you have forgotten about. Go on, set out of your style rut! Try new outfits and don’t forget to accessorize!
3. Top Tips To Improve Your Confidence
Be True To You
Being true to you is about being a trendsetter, or being brave enough to flaunt and believe in the clothing choices you’re most comfortable in and the style selections you’ve made. In other words, don’t be a mindless follower of every frivolous or fleeting trend that pops up. Take some time to make an effort and pay attention to your appearance. Investing time and even money in your appearance can work wonders for your self-image. Looking great convinces others that you feel great. Usually, this triggers compliments which help you to feel better.
Be Positive & Avoid Beating Yourself Up
We all have days when we’re having a hard time. This can often cripple us and convince us that we’re the worst. However, beating ourselves up is pointless and counterproductive. It’s best to be positive and think of your setbacks as setups for bigger, brighter and better things in the future.
Take Care Of Yourself
Taking care of yourself doesn’t necessarily mean going to the gym every day for several hours a day. Who has time for that? You can take care of yourself a number of ways. Some self-caring activities include exercising, drinking more water, eating more healthily, relaxing more, pampering yourself at the spa or the salon and so on. If you take care of yourself, you’re bound to look & feel amazing! This is a great confidence booster.
Affirmations & Quotations
Everything that we repeatedly say to ourselves, whether mentally or out loud, are called affirmations. If you tell yourself something often enough, you’ll eventually believe it. That’s why it’s so important to positively affirm that we are good enough. In other words, if we believe, then we will achieve. Affirmations and positive quotations complement each other. You can use quotations to help inspire, motivate and uplift you, especially when your really down and lack self-esteem. Positive quotations like the ones in my FREE printable can greatly improve your confidence.
Get your FREE printable with 50 positive quotations designed to inspire, motivate and uplift you.
Overcome your mom guilt and indulge more by treating yourself regularly. It’s all about self-care and taking some time for YOU! Go ahead and treat yourself, instead of constantly cheating yourself out of life’s simple pleasures. This is bound to make you happy and put you in a good mood. You are much more likely to be confident when you’re happy than you are if you constantly deprive yourself. So, go ahead, indulge more.
Please Pin This For Later!
So there you have it. Now you know How To Instantly Increase Your Clothing Confidence To Skyrocket Your Style & Self-Esteem. If you’ve suffered a style setback since starting your family, or your clothing confidence has been crushed because you had children, just remember:
- Choosing clever clothing is key to increasing your clothing confidence. When you can confidently select the best clothes to flatter your figure, which are also practical and comfortable, then your style and self-esteem are sure to skyrocket.
- By applying the easy and effective tips above, you will learn how to dress to enhance your clothing confidence.
- Quick and simple tips above that will improve your confidence.
If you haven’t already, don’t forget to download your FREE PDF filled with 50 confidence inspiring quotations to uplift you when you need it most.
Has your clothing confidence suffered since starting your family? How do you handle it?
Let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.
Are we social media friends yet? If not, let’s connect!
Pinterest Facebook Twitter
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means I may make a small commission, at no cost to you, if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you for shopping via my links.